Plant Education Group 2018 Update
By: Mohamed Yakub, Outreach and Education Coordinator
The University of Minnesota Plant Education Group (PlantEd) had a very successful summer of research and outreach at the Horst Rechelbacher Site in Osceola, WI. Summarized below is an overview of work conducted on the farm in 2018 as well as specific updates for projects we are conducting at the site.
- PlantEd Project Coordinator (Lindsey Miller) Reflection
- Annual Display and Plant Diversity Garden
- Elmer Swenson Legacy Collection
- Flowers for Pollinators
We are also in the process of expanding PlantEd’s work for next summer. Proposed plans for next summer in addition to research are:
- Host a wine tasting on site, led by grape breeder Dr. Matt Clark (Department of Horticultural Science)
- Plant ID class, led by Julie Weisenhorn (UMN Extension) and Stephanie Erlandson (Department of Plant Biology)
- Plant Diversity demonstration led by Dr. Cory Hirsch (Department of Plant Pathology)
- Café Scientifique in partnership with Bell Museum
- Engage Queer Science hands-on science activities for high school students
- Field days in partnership with UMN Bee Squad
This is my last update for the SBC as I have accepted a position with AAAS in Washington DC. PlantEd is doing amazing work; if you are interested in partnering or checking out this work or space, send an email to PlantEd@umn.edu.